Thursday, May 16, 2019

Low Mileage

Ego is a funny thing.  I have struggled with mine for all of my adult life.  Often times, ego prevailed and I suffered as a result.  Since I began bike touring in 2015, my ego has come along on every trip.  It always tells me I need to pedal harder or get a few more miles in.  On my first tour from Monterey to San Diego, CA, I ended up doing almost five 100 mile days in a row.  By the end of it my legs were angrier than a Baldwin being asked to shut down candy crush before take off.  This trip is proving to be no different.
     Since I moved to DC, I haven’t really been pedaling at all, so now that I am back in the saddle my powerful biking legs are no where to be found, and one of those “powerful biking legs” has not adjusted well.  It’s been cramping the whole time.  I have been taking long breaks every hour or so to let it rest and stretch it out, it seems to be working, but the progress is slow and I am more uncomfortable than I would like.  Even with that discomfort, Ego is drafting behind me.  It tells me I need to go faster and that it isn’t pleased with the low mileage days.  This battle will continue throughout the ride.  
   In the mean time, I will just do my best to enjoy the hot tubs and ice packs along the way.

Warrenton, VA

1 comment: